View Single Post

Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

We know the FBI got some snub Victory Models, and I think CID got most of the others.

Much later on, snub .38's were issued to some helicopter pilots, some being Model 12 Airweights.

But I've never seen a photo of a snub S&W .38 in military use, outside of those in missile silos. Have seen a couple of pics of CID and CIC agents with Colt snubs.

I know we had both Chief Specials and Colt snubs for AP investigators at Lowry AFB in Denver in the mid-1960's. And fellow AP's who had been stationed at Fairchild AFB, WA said they had M-56's, which they disliked because they were harder to shoot well than four-inch guns.

We know the Navy bought some Chief Specials, but no idea who got them. They had lanyard rings on the butts, so maybe aircrews? Apart from US marked on the backstrap and the ring, they were normal blued guns.

SAC Elite Guard had nickeled guns with imitation stag grips, and I think some may have been snubs. Others had four-inch barrels. Has anyone here seen a SAC nickel snub? Was it a re-worked Victory Model?

Has anyone seen photos of any S&W snub in military service? Details?

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-13-2017 at 07:50 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: