View Single Post

Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM

Liked 693 Times in 292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
No, I don't think so in this case.

Remember, the reason he took the shot was to protect his partner. A civilian in the same situation would still be saving another from potential death. That's legal in all 50 states.
Agreed. You have to articulate the reason you fired just as we Police Officers do. Now, depending on jurisdiction of course you may or may not have to retreat. In AZ there is no such stupidity in the self defense laws.

In this case there's a perp with a rifle acting like he intends to kill people, not just police. Any citizen would be justified in dropping him for his actions. Whether or not the weapon is operable is irrelevant! We (you all) have NO WAY of knowing that. (See airsoft guns getting people killed). They to look way too real.

Remember the incident in Early TX where the Sgt. was pinned down by a gunman and the citizen used his .357 to 'dissuade' the suspect with four rounds into him. The suspect fell from cover & the Sgt. was able to end the shootout. Goodguys 1, badguy 0!

That man was praised for his actions that day. Likewise, a citizen here in AZ shot at three perp's who gunned down Ofc. Mark Atikinson of the Phoenix PD. Even though Ofc. Atkinson died of his wounds, the citizen slowed the suspects enough that they were apprehended, one wounded severely. The man was lauded as a hero & the Phx. PD Union bought him a new Glock 31 since the PD was keeping his for an undetermined amount of time.

Now, one could argue that they "were fleeing" and therefore not a 'threat'. Well I beg to differ, if they'll blatantly gun down a uniformed Phoenix PD Ofc. in downtown during broad daylight, then the really don't give a s___ about anyone else do they?

Likewise for this incident no one knows what the deal was with the decedent, let alone the police. He comes out with a rifle and level's it at anyone without damn good justification then he's bought at paid for. It may sound heartless but I don't get paid to get shot and I didn't survive 21 yrs. by being careless. The decedent made the decision to act in this manner and he paid the price.

Last edited by PR24; 07-16-2017 at 11:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: