View Single Post

Old 07-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Liked 10,579 Times in 2,986 Posts

Back in the '60s, I was at a park where a bunch of rock bands were playing for free on a Sunday. Steve Miller was scheduled, but didn't show. Everyone went home except me and three other guys who were tossing around Frisbees. Eventually a van showed up, and out stepped Steve and his band. We went over and told them there was only four of us there, and they didn't need to play. Steve said, "We're going to play." And play they did. For four guys. For free. These days Steve still plays, but in 20,000 seat arenas with big bucks admission prices. For some reason, I haven't felt the need to go to those. I guess I'm spoiled.

Once, in a very crowded bar, for a few seconds I found myself wedged up against Janis Joplin. It was a pleasant experience.

The most famous person I actually know, is a former graduate student of the university department where I taught for many years. He was one of our best students. When I was in charge of our teaching assistants, he was in great demand by the faculty, because he always did an excellent job in any course to which he was assigned. He lived 100 miles from campus, and commuted in his personal airplane. One time, when travel funds were low, he and some of our faculty wanted to attend a conference in South Carolina. He offered to fly them if they'd chip in for gas. My faculty colleagues agreed, and they all went to the conference, flown by the student we know today as "Dr. Phil" McGraw.