Thread: S&W .22 Magnum
View Single Post

Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,218 Times in 4,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
Darned little phone photos .

Yes, a model 53, chambered in .22 Jet, one of the centerfire Magnum rounds popular at that time. The "firing pin" (hammer nose) position is switchable between center- and rimfire positions. These came with Jet cylinder inserts for .22 LR, and also with LR and rimfire Magnum cylinders; the latter two are longer than the cylinders for the revolvers built for LR (model 17) and MRF (model 48) and are difficult to find. Enjoy!
Don't feel bad, Alan. I thought the same thing -- that it was a Model 48, and a darn fine looking one, too -- when I first saw the photo. The OP's mention of "22 magnum" already had me thinking in that direction too. Did notice the box said 53 though, and then the centerfire hammer, so OK, first impression was wrong for me too.

That's a mighty fine example. With the inserts allowing use of 22LR as well, I'd think this one would be very attractive to anyone looking to buy one of these. As we know, they've been selling quickly and for a good price online and, I believe, here on the Forum as well when they come up.

Frankly, I didn't know before today that 22 Jet was a centerfire cartridge. How 'bout that. So I guess the inserts were designed so that the 22LR rimfire cartridge could still be fired by the centerfire hammer, is that right?

Last edited by vigil617; 07-15-2017 at 08:14 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: