Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 11,129 Times in 3,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
You posed lots of insightful questions on this one. Indeed the odd backside sewing is typical of Rabensburg's. I'll see if I can find the pic I have of the odd way the welts have been laminated near the muzzle, in these holsters. Agreed that the strap was added; though it could have been period because the snap type we call today a 'glove' fastener'; common enough then but one won't find them on holsters today; Heiser switched from that type to the modern 'dot' style at some point though I don't know the timing of that.

There was only one Brill style holster. The variants we see were for the different pistol styles; so the auto had the trigger guard enclosed, and the short barrelled revolvers did too and had safety straps, and the 4" and up revolvers had the guard resting on the welt and normally without a strap. Basket appears to have been standard, floral an option, and I've not ever seen a plain one (doesn't mean they don't exist).

The first image is a pair of Rabensburg's; we know this because N.J. made them for Stan Nelson while telling Stan and his brother the style's history. The second image is the back of a Brill auto (notice it is a black holster with a brown back; this was done as recently as the Hoyt forward draws of the 60s because of dye rubbing off on the tan uniform trousers); and the last image is the odd layering of the welts on a Brill (look and you will see) which I hadn't ever noticed until a friend pointed it out to me.
As usual, thanks for all the interesting information. When I saw the seller's pictures of this holster, I thought it might have the Rabensburg sewing style. Nice to know about the snap type and that it is probably period correct.

Since Brill only made one style holster, I guess when you ordered one, you would just tell them what gun you wanted it to fit and barrel length, and they would make it for you. I think most of the Brill holsters that I have seen are the basketweave pattern. If anyone has a floral carved or plain one, please post a picture of it! I would love to see some!

I do think my holster was dyed black (even though they left the back of the holster brown) after it left Brill, since the back looks kinda crude. I looked at the welt on my holster and it has the same odd layering as the holster you pictured.

After Red's comments, I am liking this holster more and more!

It still really stinks that most of the awesome pictures on this "Gun Leather" part of the forum are no longer viewable! They used to be great to look at and to learn and gather information from! I wish I could say how I really feel about photobucket!!

Last edited by boykinlp; 07-18-2017 at 11:30 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: