View Single Post

Old 07-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

I've been debating whether or not to offer my opinion in this thread, as these types of threads can get quite contentious. But I'll go ahead and share my layman's thoughts.

Context is everything. Just because a shooting involves a great distance, whether civilian or LE, doesn't automatically mean it's not justified. The "reasonable person" test would apply. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall an incident where a Texas DPS Trooper was being attacked on the side of a highway and a civilian pulled over, took out his rifle, and shot the attacker from long distance, I want to say 70-something yards.

To say that a successful 25-yard hit, that stops the threat, under real life-and-death stress conditions, is difficult would be a gross understatement. I've shot a police qualification course with my Beretta 92FS, which included shots taken at 25 yards. I passed (all hits inside the 8-ring of a B27 target). The only stress I experienced was not wanting to suck in front of my classmates as well as the imposed time limits. My target was neither moving nor a threat to others. I honestly don't know if I could've made the same shot this officer did.

Long distance shots are extremely rare, but they do happen. Tom Givens, who has collected data from 60+ of his students who were involved in self defense shootings, has mentioned that one of those involved a shot taken at 22 yards, IIRC. Several years ago I was studying jujutsu at a dojo where another student, a police officer I had actually never met (I believe he left before I started studying there), was involved in an off-duty shooting where he shot at 21 yards (for those who care, it was a 1911). I can't remember the details, but I know at least one gun magazine had an article about it.

Having said that, I prioritize my efforts on what I'm most likely to face, which is close range, i.e. 3-10 feet, typically. But that doesn't mean I completely ignore long(er) distance shooting. I practice longer shots from time to time, partly because it really forces me to focus on marksmanship fundamentals and partly because it's good to know one's limitations. With my EDC, a 642, I know that 15 yards is about my maximum effective range for center-of-mass hits. How real-life stress would affect that, I don't know.