View Single Post

Old 07-15-2017, 10:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts

My experience with the M14 followed my experience with the M1, which I trained on in boot camp at Paris Island, SC. When in Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Lejune NC after PI was issued a M14. Had an M14 during my first two tours in Nam. Third tour was in Reconnso had a M3 and 1911.

To the OP: if you think long long marches in SC in the summer were bad you would have been shocked Nam where it is hot in the winter and damn near unbearable in the summer. How about raining ever day for a couple months not going in a long range patrol with 75 ponds of gear on your back and another 15 pounds in a rifle bayonet, water, etc.

But all that was bearable. It was the damn leaches that sucked onto you in the swamps, rice paddies, and other water. I'd take SC any day any time of year.

Oh forgot. The M14 was a good rifle. Reliable, high powered, easy to stop and clean. It just worked unlike the early M16s. Onlynpeoblem was the retainer tabsmon the magazines. If they get bent feed problems ensured. That was true of the M16 as well. Yes u might have seen war movies where GIs tap their magazines against there helmets. That was assure the tabs were properly positioned.

Last edited by richardw; 07-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: