View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Liked 2,021 Times in 760 Posts

I've loaded some Berry's and lots of Xtreme plated bullets. I have roll crimped right through the copper plating. When you do you can't see it looking at the round with a loop, you have to pull the bullet to find it. Cut through the plating and that will lead the barrel. And as I found out, if your rounds are up there in FPS it will lead the **** out of the barrel!
I had some plated rounds (revolver) lead a barrel and when I pulled a bullet I had not cut the plating. I wondered if the bullet was elongating pulling the crimped band open. I could never find a fired bullet to prove this.
Plinking rounds with a slight roll crimp were never a problem. I know opinions differ but I noticed when using slow powders for more FPS the gun stayed cleaner with a stout roll crimp. For revolvers lately I'm pretty much only ordering coated bullets with a crimp band. Kinda makes my life easier.
For semi-auto I still buy Xtreme's plated RN's when they go on sale. They seat fine and I taper crimp to only remove the bell from the case. I've never had a problem with plated in semi-auto's.