View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Liked 163 Times in 97 Posts

Instead of telling you which of your guns would be good I'll just generalize my response. In my opinion a 3-6 inch barrel stainless 357 Magnum with a minimum of 6 shots would be nearly ideal. There are many others available that will also work but I am looking at the whole spectrum. That includes the cost of ammunition, availability of ammunition, cost of the holster and holsters available. You want something that is reasonably economic yet enough to handle whatever danger you come across. A black bear with cubs nearby can be nearly as formidable as a grizzly if she believes you pose a danger to her cubs. My grandpa was chased up a tree by one in Virginia. All he had was a single shot shotgun with birdshot. A few birdshot to the face and the black decided to go elsewhere. Also in today's society a bear may be the least of your troubles. The criminal element can now be found in the woods as well as the street corner. Also while I don't like the idea of putting down a dog there are more dogs around than bear. Some are sweet and friendly, others can be vicious, and others can be rabid. Use good judgement no matter what you carry in the woods.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: