View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 02:56 PM

Liked 29,135 Times in 14,088 Posts

Back in the DCM days of the 1950s-60s, many of the GI M1911A1s sold by DCM (at that time the DCMs price was around $20 each as I remember) were brand-new and in the box. I bought several of them, one being a US&S which was NIB, another was a Colt which was pretty close to new condition. I foolishly sold the US&S to a friend for about what I paid, as I already had several other .45s. Keep in mind that back then, you could walk into about any pawn shop in America and buy a GI .45 for $25-$30. Any of those .45s sold through CMP today will very likely have been heavily used, and most of the rarities (such as US&S) probably won't be found among them. I believe DCM (which was the predecessor of CMP) was actually a part of the Army. I bought several carbines, M1903A3s, and .45s, as I don't think there was a limit on the number purchases, except maybe some limit on how frequently you could buy them. As a shooter, I would personally opt to buy one of the new M1911A1 GI clones rather than through CMP. Why not buy a new gun which is probably just as well made as one of the beat-up WWII leftovers at what is likely to be a higher price?
The Following User Likes This Post: