View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Liked 3,278 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothshooter View Post
A few days ago I bought a new Smith .22 revolver with the 3" barel. When looking it over, I noticed the barrel-cylinder gap looked rather wide, I would guess about .020".
When I commented on the wide gap, the rather knowledgeable guy behind the counter told me that Smith & Wesson now considers barrel-cylinder gaps up to .030" (!) to be within acceptable specs. I have always preferred a .003" to .006" gap.

I was under the impression that one of the reasons ( besides cost savings ) that Smith has gone the barrel shroud route was to make it easier for production workers/machinery to be speeded up while making adjusting the gap easier.

Anyone know anything about this?
Have been dealing with the previously- mentioned gun shop guy for over a year, and he has never said anything previously that I have found to be incorrect. He was not happy about what he said Smith was doing.

Shot the new revolver this morning, and had to stop after about 40 rounds. Every shot sprayed lead fragments back into my face on the left cheek along the lower left edge of my glasses, very consistently in an area about 2" across. The was very odd-same place, every time. Painful too.

Looks like this gun is going back to smith for a second time.
I was in the process of buying it three weeks ago when I noticed the barrel was screwed into the frame too far, and was not clocked in right. When looking down the sights I noticed thefront sight and rib tilted to the left. The gun store immediately shipped it back to S & W for warranty repair, and I went back and picked it up at the store the day it was returned ( 3 days ago).
Also, this barrel shows no sign of a noticeable forcing cone, and the rear end of the barrel appears to have been just cut off, with no deburring at all.

Last edited by smoothshooter; 07-16-2017 at 03:53 PM.