View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Default Old and new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFlores View Post
Hi all, I had a thought while driving home last night, after looking at several new S&W revolvers. Lets face it, most of us despise the lock, the frame mounted firing pin, the MIM parts, and the ****** finishes of the newer generation revolvers. I'm the sort to basically drop into gun shops looking to find that lightly used, pristine S&W revolver from 1980 or older, pinned barrel, recessed cylinders, and blueing so deep you can get lost in....or stainless without a single swirl mark. However, the new revolvers are what we have and they're still nice guns. Sure, the blueing pretty much stinks and wipes off with gun cleaner (seriously?!?!), but they still feel nice and have decent triggers. I have one, a 629, which after gong back to S&W twice is now one of my favorite revolver. It's a gun that looks and feels great, and seems to fit me like a glove...and hots everything it's aimed at. So, if the shop..we can sift through canted sights, mis-aligned frame to barrels, and other blemishes however, you never know if it shoots to point of aim until you take the deep plunge and drop lots of money and take it home. This becomes the moment when you're thrilled to death, or get that sick feeling like you've been had. You'll possibly be entering a time period where you'll be sending your new revolver back several times hoping it'll fall into the hands of someone who knows how to screw a barrel onto a frame properly. So, with that said, I've found several nice new revolvers but didn't want to take the plunge because I dont have the time or energy to sink into chasing S&W to make a new revolver shoot to point of aim. What about bringing one of those laser cartridges taht you chamber and it shoots a laser down the barrel, and allows you to check it and compare to where the sights are aiming? I know these are primarily for sighting in but can they be used to verify that the sights are aiming where the barrel is pointing? I bought one yesterday, and tested it in 2 .357s I have that shoot to point of aim, and they did in fact put the laser right where the sights were looking. Is this a viable way of weeding through guns before getting burned? Has anyone used this method for verification?
There isn't much out there that hasn't seen reductions in quality from a top of the line Porsche to S&W's revolvers. One of the primary reasons for this is the high cost of labor - takes a lot of man hours to get thousands of barrels perfectly aligned to the thousandths of an inch, or bluing so deep you can walk into it.

There is a price point where consumers will stop purchasing guns in the numbers the manufacturer needs to stay in business - that is what S&W struggles with. By and far, they are doing a pretty good job.
The Following User Likes This Post: