View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Liked 1,328 Times in 456 Posts

I have had a ported .40 for a couple months now, and a couple weeks ago, also picked up a Shield .45 ( non ported).
I've shot them at my range 3 times now, side by side, and will probably be selling the .45, or trading it for a 9mm Shield for my daughter.
The .40 PC does have a quicker recoil and muzzle rise than the .45, but rises no higher than I can tell, and doesn't come back in your hand as hard as the .45 does.
I have always been a .45 guy, mostly 1911's, and wanted to like the .45, but every time I've shot my two Shield's, I've like the PC .40 better.
1)Nothing hits you in the face from the ports.
2) If it's any louder I can't tell, all handguns are loud, even my Colt .22.
3) I've shot it at dark, and there's no more distraction or temp blindness than any other handgun.
4) There's some fouling around the ports and under the slide where the ports spew out, but one swipe of some CLP or Powder Blast on a rag and it's gone. Not a huge cleaning chore like some make it out to be.
5) I found about 60 to 70 fps. less velocity comparing my PC .40 to my full size .40 M&P. I didn't have a non ported Shield .40 to compare against my PC, so factoring in that the FS has an inch longer barrel, velocity loss is pretty insignificant.
I seriously doubt that all the haters of ported Shields actually have one or have done any side by side comparisons. I wish they'd give it a rest.
The trigger on my .45 is similar to the PC trigger as far as weight, travel, etc. but has some noticeable "crunchiness" as it's pulled.
The fiber optic sights are much nicer to use in daylight.
I'm getting a TRL-6 for my PC, and a Tulster holster to fit it ( in FDE of course! ) but will still pop some Meprolight Tritium sights on it as well.