Thread: Absence
View Single Post

Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM

Liked 393 Times in 118 Posts

I've bought, sold and traded so many guns in my misspent life that it's hard to remember many of them (and I'm not kidding, I am sometimes reminded of guns that I've owned by friends or family that I have no recollection of ever owning), the transactions are into the hundreds and hundreds. BUT, there are 2 specific selling regrets that still haunt me, mostly because they're not easily replaced (especially for what I paid for and sold them for).

The first is S&W related. A Model 29, round butt, 3" that was magnported. It had an incredible action and trigger job. It was a special run sold by Magnaport or some other distributor (Lew Horton??). I LOVED that gun and carried it pretty much daily for more than a year. Inexplicably, I sold or traded it away. I'd like to have that one back.

The other was an Interarms Mark X Mauser Whitworth Express rifle in 375 H&H magnum. It was a CLASSIC British safari rifle. Beautiful wood with a hand rubbed oil finish, red recoil pad, 3 leaf folding express sights, the whole package. In the 20 or so years since I let that one get away, I've looked for a replacement, but the ones that I've found have been priced 4 to 10 times more than I paid for that one.

There have been others (A nickle model 19 comes to mind), but those 2 stand out in my memory.

TRE