View Single Post

Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 AM

Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR_LV View Post
How many of the brethern here have actually experienced a problem with a S&W frame lock revolver? I did a quick search and found one report where somebody said his steel-frame had spontaneously locked when he dropped it about four feet onto a concrete floor. Massad Ayoob wrote a nice piece about his take on it which you can find at Massad Ayoob >> Blog Archive >> INTERNAL GUN LOCKS. He mentioned that report and that he'd heard of a number of stories regarding light alloy frame revolvers locking that way when fired with extremely hot loads, but had done a lot of that kind of shooting with one he's owned for years and never had an issue. His solution (and mine) is to have and carry the old-style revolvers for social purposes and keep the others for target and hunting, but, like most people who carry a wheelgun for self-defense, we're both clearly suspenders & belt types. He also discusses the wisdom, or lack thereof, of removing the lock on a carry gun. It's worth a read. Meanwhile, from what I've seen, most of the "spontaneous lock" stories out there that I could find were things that happened to the second cousin of somebody the teller met in a bar. I'd be interested in firsthand accounts.
I've seen a few first hand account online (can't find em at the moment)... but it never bothered me in the way that I thought for sure it would fail... it's more of the principle of it that I couldn't get over.

But that being said, I de-locked a pc 637 I had back in the day, just because I wanted to take it apart and while I was in there figured I might as well go ahead and eliminate the possibility of it happening (it's now my dads carry gun).

I like to know how things work and have always enjoyed taking things apart, learning what relationship parts have to each other how they work in detail, and putting them back together...
I'm no engineer but I would like to think I have a decent understanding on what is a good design/build and what isn't...and the overall design and build of the IL and it's hairwidth spring (thinner than the slide release spring on a Beretta 92... and that is a damn skinny spring) that keeps it from springing at an in opportune time doesn't inspire any confidence...