View Single Post

Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Liked 285 Times in 95 Posts

For field carry, I always carry a 44mag, doesn't matter if the biggest thing I will run into is a black bear or a gopher!
So if I'm hiking, it's my S&W Backpacker with 44spl, a mix of expanders and lead penetrators in the 200gr range. When hunting, in the Carolinas I bring my Ruger Alaskan 44mag as backup with nothing but 44mags with 240gr SWC's. The Ruger is a LOT heavier than the Backpacker, but you can shoot 44mags all day long with it and it is very accurate out to 25yds, you can shoot a man size target out to 100yds, but you need to be relaxed and leaning against a tree to make that shot reliably! I am considering a chest rig for my new S&W PC XVR with 7.5" bbl, but the 460S&W is LOUD...not sure I'd want to shoot that without any hearing protection, but when hunting Mountain lions and Black Bears, it's a great firearm that I wouldn't feel undergunned with. Heck, the noise alone might scare any critters away! Of course, this is only as a backup to my Rifle which has never failed me yet!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: