View Single Post

Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 PM

Liked 523 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
I encounter a lot of guys like that, in varying degrees of competent-to-not.

Sometimes I point out that we've learned a lot about handgun shooting since they were in the service (although some of them, I simply cannot believe they were taught to shoot as they do). It's a polite way to start prying off their resistance.

Other times--especially with "empty chamber" or "hammer-down", that sort of thing--I point out that a military handgun is a different animal than a CCW handgun.

In the military, you have a whole host of lethal stuff available. The radio (which calls planes and helicopters and tanks and artillery), grenades, machineguns, rifles, and so on. Basically, a handgun is the second-to-last deadly implement a guy carries, just ahead of a knife. If you need it, the powers-that-be have determined you'll have time to get it ready. They're more concerned with you shooting yourself with it.

In civilian life, the handgun is the only deadly implement you might carry. And nobody is around to tell you how to carry it.
Exactly right. CCW as a civilian is much different than carrying a pistol in the military. The other thing that's changed since then - we now have thousands of videos of ambush attacks on YouTube. Many of these attacks happen so fast there's little time to get a gun ready for action. In a few cases you can actually see people trying to rack a slide, failing to do so and dying as a result.

People can do what they want, but at least be aware of the risks inherent to empty chamber carry.

Last edited by silversnake; 07-17-2017 at 10:57 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: