View Single Post

Old 07-18-2017, 03:46 AM

Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts
Default It took awhile to get to a new style of carrying for me ...

... back in the old days, when I was a PI/Bodyguard, I carried in a shoulder holster, cross-draw. Typically I wore sports coats during that period of life. Plus I lived in the Detroit Metro Area, so it was nice and chilly most of the time. I was carrying a Colt Combat Commander back then or a Colt Gold Cup. When I did switch to a 9mm, due to the hi cap, I carried it the same way, in fact, part of the reason I picked the 9mm I picked was because it has a similar weight and feel to my Colts. It was a Ruger P-85 and I still have that gun. Now that I'm not doing that kind of work anymore, I don't feel the need to carry such big guns. Plus I live in Virginia where the weather is much warmer, thank you, God! LOL! Anyway, these days my weapon of choice is an S&W, M&P Bodyguard 380.
Since I am a pretty tall guy (6'3", pretty much) and a lot slimmer since the old days, well I weigh a lot less, but I worked out constantly at the time, I weighed around 235 pounds, now I weigh about 165 pounds, LOL! So carrying a full-size handgun is not really an option if I want to conceal it anyway, hence the BG 380. I carry it in an IWB just under my right kidney, most of the time. Generally, I just wear slightly larger shirts, not tucked in and the gun is very well concealed. If I have to, I do have an in-pocket holster, but I dislike how long it takes me to get it out of my pocket. The simple Blackhawk IWB holster does the trick for me. I found out just how quickly I can access the gun last weekend when a rabid fox attacked our back door. I just happened to have the Bodyguard in the IWB when I walked out the door, I recognized what was happening instantly and by the time I thought about it I had already shot Mr. Fox in the spine, twice. Quick note for those of you in rural areas that might come in contact with a rabid animal: Don't shoot them in the head, because that's where the rabies is and you'll just make more of a bio-hazard for yourself or your Health Department. I got that from our county health department after I had shot the fox already. I know, I know, just lucky I guess!
The main lessons for me were; 1) you never know when you might NEED the gun; 2) my training is still telling me what to do all of these years later, muscle memory doesn't go away apparently, otherwise I'd have been much slower to react to the situation. I've always had pretty good reflexes but I figured being this close to 60 years old I would have slowed down quite a bit. Apparently not, since the act of shooting the fox took about the blink of an eye for me to do and no I'm not exaggerating, LOL. I can't catch spring flies like I used to but I can still juggle and other quick hands things that keep me moving at a decent rate of speed, phew.
Oh, and to the OP, I bought the gun and then tried the various holster set ups until I found the one that fit 90% of my clothing choices, the Blackhawk IWB, just under my right kidney, though at times a bit more at 3 o'clock.
Safe shooting folks-