Thread: S&W auto's
View Single Post

Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Liked 14,851 Times in 5,049 Posts

I think there are a couple of things we need to keep in mind. Folks like us are driven mightily by nostalgia and a true passion for these small hand-operated machines. I am talking specifically about an EMOTION that ceases to exist in a for-profit corporation such as S&W.

As for "price, cost and profits", there are other angles we should discuss that we rarely seem to discuss...

First item: the bulk of cost isn't in the materials, it's in the product design, development and mostly in the equipment requires to build them. In this way, S&W -should- be working in an extremely low "cost" environment when we consider that those items already exist and are done & paid for.

However, two things S&W does not currently have is the floor space dedicated to using that equipment (or the same equipment has been repurposed for current items) and S&W greatly lacks the paid talent and experienced labor to build them.

I would say that -MANY- folks active in these pages are a better source for knowledge and experience of 1-2-3rd Gens than MOST of the people who work at S&W currently. And NO, I don't believe that is an exaggeration.

But do you know what we aren't as skilled at? Market research, high production manufacturing and service of same, large contracts and handling of same and running a for-profit corporation.

Those are what keeps the lights on at the plant. Our biggest drive in these pages are based on emotion that almost ceases to exist in Springfield. (and, well, Houlton, Maine.)

I have seen some of the new-old stock 5946 pistols offered at Cabela's and other places. I see a gleaming *NEW* S&W 3rd Gen in a gun case and with a curious "Houlton" address when I have only ever seen "Springfield" on a 3rd Gen and for a moment, my eyes light up as my brain comes to a very fast and mistaken conclusion. No, actually, they are not back.

And then I see the price... all the while knowing that I can still find many great 1-2-3rd Gens on the used market for 40-60% of the price Cabela's has on that new old stock one.

And that's a DAO that really isn't my taste.

Y'know what would be awesome? If a guy like Elon Musk bought S&W. Maybe then you might see some decisions based on dreams, ideas, love and passion (the way many of us think) and less based on corporate accounting.

Just how it occurs to me anyway.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: