View Single Post

Old 07-21-2017, 08:15 AM

Liked 28,123 Times in 8,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideWaist View Post
On the USCCA website it says, "Criminal Defense Protection Up To $150,000". That doesn't seem like that amount will go very far in a criminal case.

Also, you have to ask them how much input you get when they try to settle—and part of that settlement involves you losing your 2nd Amendment right and, thus, your CCW license/permit. If you refuse to settle with those terms, then what?
I've been in the meeting when my organization discussed settlement with the insurance company multiple times. If you don't settle, and the lawsuit is asking for more than the policy limit, the organization and the various responsible members are now singularly and collectively liable for any amount awarded above the policy limit, and all parties must now retain their own counsel. I think it unlikely that a civil liability settlement with an individual would ever address personal 2nd Amendment rights. Criminally, you would never be forced by counsel to take a plea agreement and admit guilt, and counsel will certainly be required to mount a criminal defense at trial if you exercised that right. You will be notified of the potential consequences , which could be much worse than the issues agreed to with a plea. Also, I haven't read the fine print of the various CCW coverages, but it is possible that they may ask for more money to proceed to trial . . .