View Single Post

Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM

Liked 25,615 Times in 8,661 Posts

I LOVE my (1974 mfg.) Series 70 Colt Gold Cup and it is the single most shot handgun I own! At this point I could not tell you how many (I'd guess at about 20K - 25K) rounds I've shot through it and it is still as accurate and smooth as ever. Never a hitch and I do swap out the recoil spring every year or so just for good measure.

Two of my shooting friends just bought brand new current production Series 70 Gold Cups (almost identical to the ones made in the 70's) and I will say their quality is TOP NOTCH! They shoot every bit as well as the older ones and are smooth and extremely well fit & finished. They are currently being produced and can be bought for under $1200.00. IMHO they are about the best there is for that price and will group just as well as Ed Brown's or Les Behr's. The best part is they function 100% out of the box with no excuses and do not need to be sent back to the Factory to function with re-loads. The Ed Browns I've experienced ( 3 of them belonging to friends ) were incapable of shooting a single magazine with reloads. They all went back to be "loosened up" and after 2 or 3 trips back, they now function most of the time. The Colts - 100% all the time with any mixed bag of reloaded ammo as long as it's within spec's.

If you are looking for a well built, no excuses gun that is dead nuts accurate and reliably works, get a new Gold Cup!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: