View Single Post

Old 07-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Liked 6,018 Times in 2,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
I have to view all these claims about "downloading" and squib problems with a somewhat jaundiced view. Because my most accurate load for my 1892 Winchester Short Rifle in 357 Magnum is 14.8 grains of H110/W296 with a 158 grain Hornady XTP. If you check Hodgdon's data you will see that this is actually BELOW Hodgdon's starting data. However it is a low midrange load in the Hornady 9th. Point is there is a LOT of varaitions in charge weights between different sources with this powder. IMO using a Magnum primer is a must with this powder and it's best to explore multiple sources of data when working up a new load.

When I am seeing/shooting at my best I've shot this combination to just under 1 inch at 100 yards. BTW, try doing that with a Mables Peep sight and you'll understand my reference to "seeing" well. Really do miss they days when I had 20/10 vision and could read 2 point type without any aid.

I have also found that H110/W296 is also a marvelous powder to use for loading the 300 Blackout. In fact having compared loads using H110 and LilGun I have to say that H110 is the MOST accurate powder I've found for the 300 BLK and for me this means sub 3/4 MOA from my 16 inch carbine with a cheap 9 power scope on a Burris quick change mount. Note, I normally shoot this rifle with either irons or a QC Reflex sight but the scope does see use for load development or playing around at 100-200 yards.
296/110 takes pressure to burn completely. It needs a heavy bullet with a stiff crimp in short barreled guns and as you see it can burn well with a long barrel and a medium weight bullet as that gives it the resistance needed to burn.
You are on your own when a manufacturer says "Absolutely do not go below starting levels" and you precede to tell the internet what a great idea it is to do so.