View Single Post

Old 07-24-2017, 10:33 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Everybody has an opinion, as well as a personal preference. So do I! I am an old revolver carrier and user. I have several, and among them are my favorite guns. I had little use for a semi auto for many years. When the striker fired semi autos appeared, I began to look at them more closely. The mode of operation as far as drawing, shooting by just pressing the trigger, and reholstering was little different from my revolvers. The semi's allowed easier carry and slightly faster reloading capabilities than did my revolvers, although by this time, I could reload my revolver faster from my loop loader on my service belt faster than most folks could imagine.

After I quit wearing the Sam Browne belt for a living and wore civilian clothing all the time, a six round loop loader on a belt slide was about the best I could manage, and those six rounds were pretty obvious! My first experience with a striker fired gun was a glock. Could not abide the shape and angle of the grip. I also had little use for revolver grips that did not fit my hand well because none of us can shoot their best with a gun that does not fit their hands well. I even flirted strongly with the 1911 platform during this time. My head was NOT programmed to manipulate the thumb safety as a part of bringing the gun into action. NOT GOOD! Yes, enough shooting and training could have changed that, but I was old enough and so set in my ways that I did not elect to put myself through that process. I tried several other striker and hammer fired DAO semi autos. I owned an S&W 4586 that was a dandy gun in all respects. But it was too big and heavy to carry and conceal every day. I tried others with out warming up to them. I bought a good used M&P 9MM fulled sized semi auto. I really liked it too, but it is a large gun to carry every day. I continued to carry my revolvers, vascillating between a Model 640-1 J Frame and two or three of my K Frames with 2.5" or 3" barrels.

Then one day I had a chance to hold, handle, shoot and carry a Shield 9MM. My friend, the owner, allowed me to carry it for a few days. I was very impressed, so I bought one and started carrying it some as well as continuing to shoot it regularly to discover how reliable it was. At some point, I began to carry it regularly. It was easier in some ways to carry than my revolvers. With 8 +1 rounds in the gun and a single 8 round mag on my belt, I had about the same number of cartridges as I did with my K Frames and two reloads and more than the J Frame with two reloads. The semi auto reloads were more readily accessible than my revolver reloads and were easier to conceal. The Shield was also flatter and lighter than my steel framed revolvers. And I could shoot it as well or better than my revolvers.

Now what I am telling you is my own experience. I don't say it does or should mirror your experience. It took me a long time to admit that I could find no good reason not to carry the Shield other than my personal preference for the revolvers. I can say honestly that I now own two of the 9MM Shields )one is my wife's). I have also bought into the Shield .45. That one has made the difference for me. I have not carried either my revolvers or my 9MM Shield since. I am perfectly comfortable carrying +P .38 Special or good 9MM premium ammo for my personal protection needs, but I like the bigger heavier bullets very much.

I have fired thousands of rounds through the Shields as well as a full sized M&P9 and M&P 45. I have not had one personal experience that has diminished my full faith and confidence in any of them. At this point, I trust them as much as my beloved revolvers. And I can carry as much or more ammo for the semi's as the revolvers more easily and reload them more quickly. And I can carry the semi autos more comfortably as well.
So my revolvers get shot at the range and stand by for back up or house guns and occasional sentimental carry. But my EDC is the Shield45.

For me, the old argument about the reliability issues between a good revolver and a good striker fired semi auto are moot. Everything we do and every choice we make involves compromises. And for me the additional rounds, the ease of carry of both the gun and the extra ammo, and the speed and ease of quickly reloading the semi's have tipped my scales slightly in favor of them. If I couldn't shoot them well, they'd be gone by now. I can, at least as well as I can shoot these days. If my britches or even short pants are on me, so is my EDC, and with few exceptions, that will be the Shield45 these days. I have looked hard and long, and I personally find no reason to change that at this point.

I'm not saying what you should do, except that you should carry what you like and can carry the easiest and what you shoot the best. I will not carry either platform if there is a question in my mind about the platform or the specific gun. My Shields are as they came from the factory, well broken in and smoothed and slicked up by lots of rounds down the pipe. They are my current choice and will be as long as I have this confidence in them. But I haven't and don't intend to get rid of my revolvers either, because I have the same confidence in them. Actually, I'm kind of in hog heaven here. What's not to like? I think a man ought to carry what he likes the best IF he can do good work with it and if he trusts it. That's the best advice I can give. You gotta work that out for yourselves! My story is what has worked out for me, and over a pretty long period of time. I ain't lookin' for anything else today for EDC or personal protection. Am I still looking? Yeah, but mostly only at older fine S&W revolvers!!! I've got all the semi's that I need .... but in my world, there is definitely room for both platforms!

Last edited by kthom; 07-24-2017 at 10:37 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: