Thread: M&p shield 9mm
View Single Post

Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
If you want good ammo get Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST. Both are proven performers
I'm actually sort of amazed at some of the..."things" that companies push at the defensive market.

There are two bits to consider.

One--do you want some hot new fad, or do you want reliable, proven ammunition trusted by thousands of law enforcement agencies, in use for decades, that's already saved thousands of lives? There's a funny thing about being "unique". It either means that you are a true genius, touched by a spark of the divine, or it means that you are pants-on-head retarded. I don't know many geniuses, but I know a bunch of guys who are retarded.

Two--excuse me while I enjoy this nice bucket of popcorn, as a prosecutor and then a civil suit attorney describe to two juries how you used "Rest In Peace" ammunition designed to maim and kill. The only "RIP" will be the sound of your reputation being tattered as your character is assassinated.

And now the harsh part is out of th way.

As to pistols, the Shield isn't bad. I am not sure that I would recommend it for a first-time shooter. You need something to build skills with. The Shield is small and light, with a short barrel, and sights designed for carry, not for range practice.

Normally, this means a .22LR pistol. They're cheap, accurate, and you can shoot them all day. And there's very little recoil, allowing for extended practice without developing a flinch. A Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mk II/III/IV, Smith and Wesson Victory or 22A would fit the bill nicely.

However, my stance on that has evolved a bit over time. I think that having something you're going to practice with trumps the practicality of the .22. If you're not interested in a .22, then me recommending one is rather pointless. And if the major expenses involved in practice time are hourly range fees, squeezing ammo costs doesn't make a ton of sense when an hour's worth of 9mm only runs $10.

Hence, I would suggest a decent, full-size 9mm. Preferably one with okay sights. But really, just find something you're interested in and excited about that fits your budget. Try and get something with a good trigger as well. If I might be so bold, I actually think that a full-size DA/SA Smith and Wesson auto would do nicely. Check out the for-sale section of this forum. You should be able to find a used one for the MSRP of the Shield (or a good deal less) in short order.

The other thing I would suggest is reconsidering your apparent interest in carrying for a while. Carrying a defensive pistol requires a great deal of knowledge and gun-handling skills, and these things take time to develop.

By all means, pick a gun and buy it. But keep your mind open--especially when you're at the range. Be friendly and meet people. Lots of folks are extraordinarily generous with their guns, and it's not uncommon to be offered a chance to shoot someone else's guns. Take them up on it!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: