View Single Post

Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuhr View Post
Hi Chris,
Here is a 1911 that I plated years ago w/ Caswell kit. Just the lower, the slide is factory plated and new to the gun.
This gun has seen a ton of severe service and the plating is still good. After the Argentine army retired it I plated and checkered it. It has served as a bullseye pistol twice. Then as a carry/IPSC single stack gun. Then as a heavy load comp gun for pins, re-tuned and used as a steel plate gun with light loads, and then set up again as a bowling pin comp gun where I blew the rails out of the old soft slide. It sat around in a box of parts and I just put it together a couple of weeks ago. The patch on the dust cover hide the holes drilled for the once used C-More sight
I have shot the dickens out of it and the plating is tough as woodpecker lips.
I also did a 94 Winchester. One of those with the sintered receiver that specks up so bad. The walnut and barrel blue were good and after I plated the receiver I thought it was a cool looking gun.
Next up was a Russian bullseyegun. It was a project with poor results. I prepped everything like I did on the first two jobs but it came out looking worse than the Russian finish.
It is kind of fun to monkey with.
Good luck if you try
Thanks
Mike
mike..i just have a question...when you plated your 1911 frame...did you tank plate or brush plate?