View Single Post

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomkinsSP View Post
As a disclaimer I might add that with all due repect I think Dr. Roberts is doing a phenomenal job of measuring with great precision (I am sorry, here) the wrong variable. In my limited real-world experience hollow points fired from snubbies don't expand. Flat lead metplats crush and destroy tissue. Velocity is not as important as momentum. Expansion is irrelevant, the amount of tissue disrupted is significant. The placement of a projectile is paramount and no amount of expansion can correct poor placement. (Just my $0.02)
My disclaimer is the only thing I'm an expert at is not being an expert at anything.

Been a while ago. I had read about a group of trauma surgeons that were making the point that they weren't seeing the JHP expansion in real human shootings for bullets that had been shown to expand totally reliably in ballistic gel. They suggested in real world shootings, 148gr wadcutters did as much damage in real humans as JHP's because the JHP's weren't expanding. They didn't seem to have the clout to overcome the "FBI says" lobby.

Since I'm not a trauma surgeon or a ballistics expert, I don't have a good way to judge which side is true. I can look and see some pretty smart, BTDT people aren't "all in" with the results from ballistic gel testing being the holy grail of bullet performance.

Last edited by Ziggy2525; 07-25-2017 at 01:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: