View Single Post

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Liked 1,842 Times in 372 Posts

Here's one that's near and dear to my heart. And yes, I shot the sights off so I replaced them with Millets. As well back in the day a lot of law enforcement needed something more that would protect your sidearm from the elements and rigors of daily carry. Blue was too prone to wear and rust, Nickel was good but scratched easily and the finish would eventually breakdown over time turning cloudy when carrying everyday, and a bit flashy also. At the time I read an article in American Handgunner Magazine written about a new finish called Nitex (Company owned by Ed House) and lucky for me it was offered nearby in a gun shop called Peebles Gun Shop in Arlington, Texas. When I called to inquire about the finish a representative of the shop (don't' recall his name) told me that Colt was so expressed with the Nitex process that the Nitex Company were in negotiations with Colt in doing some work for them. The finish, called Electroless Nickel, E-Nick, and (Coltguard) was later offered by Colt; rumor of course of Colt contracting with the Nitex Company for the finishes. With that said around 1980 I had my duty weapon done; 1978 Gold Gold Cup Series 70 MKIV as did a number of other LE officers in the area did; it was very popular in the law enforcement circles. Still have it today and the finish still looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1046.jpg (51.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1048.jpg (58.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by lonestar57; 07-26-2017 at 11:35 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: