Thread: S&W auto's
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Liked 5,409 Times in 2,728 Posts

Let me comment upon a couple of things brought up. First off, no manufacturing firm keeps machine lines dedicated to one product-unless they have to in order to meet demand. Product demand is forecast a year or more in advance and production for those various items scheduled.

So, the thought that there's machinery in Springfield-or anywhere else- gathering dust because someone isn't making that item anymore is a myth. Machinery currently making stuff that sells/has been ordered would have to be taken out of production, retooled and retooled again at the end of that limited run. Lost production costs money-which customers pay for in added costs for the various products. It's not just frames, it's all those itty bitty parts that fit inside the frames & slides too.

Now then, for an actual example: back in 2006 we needed to purchase sufficient third generation handguns (4006) to get everyone using the same firearm. We had 2/3 of our unit using the 1006, the rest using the 4006. I don't recall the exact price for the 4006, but we were able to re-equip everyone with M&P40s for less money than it would have cost for the 4006's. Even after another expansion of personnel.

Bad move? NO! The M&P is a better combat gun than either of the TDA guns. Sorry if you don't agree, but we're dealing in results, not pride of ownership. The carpenter may of may not have stylistic wants about their hammer. The important thing is how well it drives nails and ease of maintenance.

BTW: yes, I've got some third generation pieces, including my 1006. They stay locked up.

Almost forgot, several folks mentioned "cost". One gent noted several things that affect cost. Let me add to the list: Taxes, wages and benefits, maintenance, payments on loans for machinery & tooling, set asides for various exceptional expenses, capital expenditures, lost income (what the company could make if the money being spent was invested, today that's probably non-existent), advertising (the LGS doesn't buy those full page ads), dividends to stockholders, utilities ........the list goes on-forgot one! PROFIT (yes, it's a cost). Remember the factory gets maybe 30-35% of MSRP when they sell the items to the distributor.

Last edited by WR Moore; 07-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: