View Single Post

Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Default What would Carl Hellstrom think?

That forcing cone cutter was far beyond dull. It was so dull it had become a burnishing tool. It's almost like a swaged forcing cone, mashed into shape. And the high points on the barrel show variation on barrel inside diameter.
I ask myself, "What would Carl Hellstrom think?" A friend of mine once wrote him because his brand new Model 29 he'd bought off HH Harris had a screw missing, there were only 4 when there were supposed to be five! He also asked about certain practices on holding the hammer while pulling the trigger. You know that Carl Hellstrom, the President of the company took the time to dictate and sign a letter in detail answering his questions. I sold that letter to a John Connelly a now departed forum member.
In the 1953 or 54 Gun Digest it shows the Smith & Wesson factory line start to finish and you can see the operation where the barrels are being lapped. It's been a long downhill slide since those days.
Your gun should definitely be returned to the factory for by doing so, your making the cost of sending out the inferior more than that of making it right in the first place. In fact, it's your duty.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: