View Single Post

Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Liked 1,661 Times in 691 Posts

Sounds like you need to start over and rethink what your doing. You should be able to use any powder with that 624/bullet combo.

One of my favorite bullets to use in my s&w 624 was the mihec 220gr hbwc bullet. A picture of the 624 with test bullets/seating depths.

Don't know if you cast your own bullets but this is what your looking for:
Bullets with a 8bhn to 12bhn alloy
Bullets that are at least .430" in diameter
Learn how to powder coat bullets

Powder coating a bullet will do 2 things. It will easily add 2/1000th's in diameter to any bullet with 1 coat. And yes you can add more than 1 coat to any bullet. The pc'ing process will anneal an alloy making it more elastic.

I've used/shot 44spl's for 30+ years now & still do to this day. Been reloading for them just as long, 1 heck of a caliber. I carry a snub nosed 44spl for things that go bump in the night. Some of the latest test loads using a:
210gr hollow based hollow point swc (hb hp swc)
220gr hollow based wad cutter turned backwards (hbwc)
200gr gas checked swc (gc swc)
185gr hollow based hollow point flat round nose (hb hp frn)

Anyway your 624 will never shoot right with lead bullets until you use a .432"/.4325" bullet. Any .340" bullet can be powder coated up to those sizes. If you don't cast your own try buying some bullets that are made from soft lead. The simply remove the lube if you can't buy un-lubed bullets and powder coat them yourself.

Another option is to get a bump die and buy soft lubed bullets and simply bump them up to your desired diameter. Swaging dies & making your own jacketed bullets are another option. Heck I swage these jacketed bullets for the 44spl/mags from nothing more than 40s&w brass and free range lead using nothing more then common reloading dies that anyone can buy.

What your doing doesn't have to be extremely complicated. Before I bought a 32cal hbwc mold I made my own 32cal hbwc's using this simple bump/swaging die.

Anyone with a drill press can easily make a simple die like the 1 pictured above. I cast a .311" 93gr rn bullet and put it in the die pictured above and hit it with a mallet and out came a .314" (i needed a .314" bullet) that was a hbwc.

Just something to think about.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: