Thread: EDC Lesson
View Single Post

Old 07-28-2017, 06:10 PM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts

Col. Rex Applegate was a well known OSS operative and Defensive Tactics trainer. He worked with the Hong Kong Police for several years and did wonders for the HK Policeman's ability to survive potential life threatening situations. Like all of us, Rex grew old. He was a large man and duty injuries caused him to have a limp. He self designed a walking stick that looked nothing more than that, but was in effect an enlarged version of the PR-24 Police Baton that was used by most LEO's for years. Well, Rex was invited to San Francisco when he was about 82 to 84 years of age to give a seminar on aspects of his Defensive Tactics experiences. Because his hotel was only a couple of blocks from the site of the seminar he elected to walk the city streets. Along his way he was singled out by two street thugs in their mid twenties. They demanded his wallet and his watch or he would be severely beaten. Rex merely warned them to leave him alone or they were going to get themselves hurt. They laughed at this old man and made their move. Rex worked them over with his walking stick to the point both were taken to the hospital. From their beds they tried to convince the Police to charge him with assault because "He attacked them for no reason." The Police only laughed at them and charged them with "Assault on an Elder Person" among several other charges. After he told me this story, I asked if he was injured in any way. He said, "No, but I did get a little winded." ....... :-)

Last edited by Big Cholla; 09-03-2017 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 13 Users Like Post: