View Single Post

Old 07-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Liked 619 Times in 156 Posts

@ all

thanks everyone for that great input. Just to answer a few questions:
  • I use the gun on the range, but yet didn't use it for bullseye matches because the accuracy of my loads didn't satisfy me - no problems with my M27-3 and M27-2, which I use for revolver matches instead.
  • the faster the powder I use, the less powder particles are left
  • the lighter the bullet I use, the more powder particles are left
  • much of the powder particles are burnt and fall down directly in front of me (lots of yellow powder particles on the range table). Once I had to disassemble the cylinder assembly, because the powder residue under the extractor was so much that the cylinder jammed
  • I tried Large Rifle primers, but noticed no significant change
  • I want to use powders in the burn rate Unique/Universal/VV N330 because I get a little higher velocities and the better filling of the case
  • I did a load with Vectan/SNPE A0 (burn rate like Herco / Longshot) a powder with very large flakes, giving impressive velocities and CLEAN burning. Here the large flakes did the trick...
  • I'm considering doing the bullets myself, but I would have to afford all the casting equipment
Yesterday on the range I tried some new loads with 215 grs SWC (7.1 Vectan/SNPE BA9) and 240 SWC HP (6.3 BA9), both sized at .430. Heavy leading after 20 rounds, sooty cases and the same amount of powder particles as always... BA9 is nearly the same burn rate as Unique, slightly slower than VV N330.

I guess that the bullets are moving too fast from the case for the powder to burn properly (except powder with large heavy flakes). Seems as if the bullet diameter might be the cause for the problem. Will try jacketed bullets to see what happens, just as a test.

best regards from Germany
Ulrich