View Single Post

Old 07-30-2017, 02:35 AM

Liked 54 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney7882v View Post
No place else appears to be better to post re: 1911 pro series so here goes. Bought used a month ago; appears well used but not abused.

First range session several failures to extract--work the slide and it extracts and ejects as expected. Took to gunsmith and we replaced all the springs since I didn't know the history of the piece. Still failed to extract on factory and re-loads and then stopped after a round of buffalo bore with case extracted about a quarter inch but stuck in the breech with extractor still engaged on the case rim.

Off to Smith; returned with polished feed ramp, polished breech and new slide stop (don't understand how slide stop affects extraction). In any event now extracts every time but a new and more perplexing problem has arisen.

Light hammer strikes and no detonation on ONLY the first round in the magazine; cock manually and most of them then go bang (the ones that didn't were fed into CZ and do go bang). Happens with factory new Mag Tech and reloads with Winchester primers...is this a spring combination problem? If so how come only first rounds in the magazine? Firing pin safety plunger/spring? Again why only on the first round? Tried both slingshot (normal practice) and slide stop to chamber the round with same results...ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too have a 1911 9mm Pro series and it was 99%, with an occasional failure to extract. Sent it back, S&W replaced the extractor. The bottom corner of the new one was ever-so slightly more sharp than rounded, and now I don't think I've had one failure to extract.

On the failure to fire on first round - my first thought was it was juuuust out of battery like has already been said. I have the same 10-round Wilson Combat mags but I have never experienced this. BUT!: I replaced all my magazine followers (thick plastic pieces) with some thin metal followers (even trimmed the back edge down a little as they were still too tight to get round 10 in.

Maybe there is too much tension on the first round and that is overcoming the recoil spring just enough, and with tension from the underside with 9 rounds in the mag, is not allowing you to go into battery fully.