View Single Post

Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Liked 2,731 Times in 868 Posts
Default cleaning

I like to buy vintage Smiths. I like to run them on the wet side and greased. So far they are all super smooth and no problems at all.

1.) Once home, I disassemble completetly, take side plate off, degrease and deep clean w carb cleaner. Make sure there is no dried out old lube in there and check for rust which is very rarely found but if there is any then usually on or under the trigger return mechanism. Install the Wolf Type 2 kit w 13 lbs trigger return, then hose down w Ballistol, wipe off some excess but leave a good coat. I install trigger shims where there was or could be hammer or trigger rubbing on the side plates. I found the newer the guns, the more such adjustments are needed. A little adjustment of that kind does wonders to the feel of the action.

2.) For 3 screws: Put the side plate back on: To prevent damage: Hammer is down and the saftey bar need to be pushed to the most upright position, line up side plate with top corner slot touching on the safety bar, gently ride up towards the top notch, line up and gently push in. Then let the screws to the rest of pulling side plate into position. Tighten each crew a little at the time but be sure that the hammer bar is in that slot. Don't know if I am able to describe that well.

3.) Cylinder, extractor rod, yoke surfaces and rotating surfaces get a light coat of RIG grease.

4.) After range session, gun is hosed down with ballistic externally and light coat of RIG reapplied on all sliding surfaces.

5.) Every now and then I take the cylinder off, for the weekly shooter maybe once every 2 months, clean w Ballistol, reapply RIG and put back.

6.) Side plate: Never comes off anymore after initial cleaning and setup, however about after every other month I spray the action through the hammer windows and yoke opening with Ballistol until completetly soaked. I use compressed air to push excess oil out. Then I place the gun upright on a towel for 1/2 day with the butt as the lowest point, then for another day with the hammer at the lowest point. All excess lube drains out, the gun is squeaky clean ready to go.

Last edited by oysterer; 07-30-2017 at 10:54 AM.