View Single Post

Old 08-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

What's the 'M' stamped in betw each chamber on the back face of the cylinder? Looks like a slight step down cut about 1/16" in from the outside edge,,could the cyl be from a K22..just wondering

A project for sure but I'd probably take the already fitted 32L bbl off, turn it down leaving a small shoulder at the frame. Then use a common 38cal bbl, bore it out to slide over the thinned down 32 bbl and secure in place.

Called a sleeve job instead of a liner,,the 32cal bbl retains the threaded portion and forcing cone and is strong enough to withstand shooting on it's own.
The sleeve made from an orig bbl mearly supplys an original contour, look and in this case will add the front locking lug back to the pistol.
Soldering was the old method of joining the two,,most use a bearing & shaft securing Loctite compound now and they ain't comin' apart!

I;d replace the current rear sight and replace with a standard S&W adj rear. Or go old school and do a pre-war style adj rear.
Orig are hard to find but not impossible especially in K frame. Dave Clements was making a repop of them for his conversions,,don't know if he still sells them to the public or not.
Maybe go back to a fixed sight style frame which would require filling in the adj site cut.

If you did keep the adj rear site, alter the front fixed sight on the bbl sleeve to a base for a pinned in place blade. You'll need that for the adj rear.

Do any necessary mech repairs to revolver to tighten specs, timing ect. The centerpin hole in the frame looks a little wobbly,,might need a bushing.
The hammer I'd replace w/a standard Victory hammer to get rid of the hammer spur alteration. Maybe the trigger too if there are any problems and just if you want the CCH finishes to match.

Fit some period grips or make something special for it.

Polish, recut the markings, change the 38 to 32 on the bbl, maybe add some engraving to to the gun to personalize it ,,then blue, (rust or hot salt).

There,,hows that for spending your time and money!
The Following 6 Users Like Post: