View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Liked 12,645 Times in 3,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
Last week I read that there were 200 co-sponsors of the House bill and some co-sponsors in the Senate (no number stated). The bills have been referred to committees in both houses. Whether there will be hearings or just a mark up of the bills to get them to a vote is not clear. The exec is highly likely to sign them upon passage.

However, the legislation is not a panacea. Within the bills is language that requires the permit holder to abide by the laws of states not just his or her state when carrying in any state. So, in the anti 2A states they can pass laws in response to the reciprocity legislation that make CC practically impossible.

I imagine that NY, NJ, MA, CT, WA, CA, OR, MD would enact laws that set requirements that none of us will be able to meet. Unless the national act deals with that I see it as a political move not a practical move.

I have both PA and AZ licenses. Between the two I can pretty much visit any state except for the ones mentioned above in the bowl of alphabet soup.
Three comments:

First, you've resurrected a 2016 zombie post on the 2016 bills - not the thread on the current bills in the house and senate bill for the 2017 session.

Big difference - different administration, different majorities.

Second, a large number of co-sponsors is sad to say usually a bad thing.

Politicians are bottom feeders and they climb on board bills as co-sponsors for their own agendas. The end result in this case is that the concealed handgun reciprocity bills have become omnibus bills that cover a wide range of issues, and as such they are becoming increasingly unlikely to pass. We might still get lucky, but the odds are getting a lot longer.

Third, among the usual suspect who come out and oppose this are gun owners who fear that more progressive legislation at the national level will prompt their liberal nanny state legislatures to crack down on local gun control.

My thought on that is that has, in the short term those folks are probably right and that sucks for them - but they should instead focus on fixing the problems in their state and stop spreading the suck to the rest of us.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: