View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM

Liked 490 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
at liberty : There is a " piece " of pipe in front of the cylinder . I strongly believe it's called " a barrel " . The bullet exits the " barrel " on it's way to the target , not coming straight out of the cylinder . He needs to check the barrel FIRST for the groove diameter and to see if he has tight spots at various locations inside the barrel . By driving a lead slug all the way through the barrel he will get this info .
I have 3 , 44's and I cast / size .431 for all three . The accuracy is good and no leading . Let me say right here that if I take out a few flakes of lead when cleaning , I don't consider that a leaded barrel . If I get strips 1" long or more , then I have a problem . Others might have a different opinion on the subject of " a leaded barrel " .
I have 25-5 (45 colt) , which are notorious for having oversize throats . The cylinder throats on mine measure .456-.457 . The barrel grooves measure .4525 . I cast / size my bullets .454 . It is one of " The " most accurate revolvers I have and no leading problems. I bought it real cheap because the guy that had it was real upset about the cylinder throat measurements . His loss--my gain.
He hasn't mentioned the " groove diameter " of the barrel . Is there tight spots inside the barrel , maybe where they " roll ' stamped the caliber/company name on the side of the barrel ? Is there a tight spot where the barrel threads onto the frame when indexing the front sight to the rear sight ? Is the barrel rough inside from machine marks ? You can start out with an oversize cast bullet but the above area's can / will shrink down the size of a cast bullet if they are not fixed , causing a problem of lead in the barrel and even accuracy problems . It takes time / effort and experience and knowledge to shoot cast bullets successfully from revolvers , accurately and w/o a leaded barrel . So telling someone w/o knowing the above , mentioned , important facts just to throw away what is , I'm sure a perfectly good cylinder is " pure nonsense " .
But if you don't cast, and the throats are really off of commonly available bullet sizes, the gun has to change, or like a number have mentioned here, be sold off.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: