Thread: My New 64-5!
View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Banned

Liked 9,332 Times in 2,759 Posts
Default My New 64-5!

Hey gang! Well I was walking around in a hospital in Southern Illinois a week or two ago, there for a family member who thank God is doing very well now. Anyway there were so Illinois Department of Correction (IDOC) officers there doing prison transportation. One of the folks they were guarding looked like Charles Manson crossed with Santa Claus wearing a canary yellow jumpsuit. It was very disturbing.

But anyway, those IDOC officers were carrying S&W Model 64 revolvers! I was very surprised, and happy to see them still using a trusty .38 for the job. Illinois is very poor and probably doesn't want to buy them modern semi-autos LOL! But I don't think they're really needed for the work these guys are doing. I think their 64s are fine for the job!

Well sitting in the waiting room, I was inspired to go on one of the auction sites on my phone. Long story short, for $265 I managed to get this:

It's a 64-5 that was a police trade in! What a peach, and for $265?? It was a no brainer! With revolver in hand today at my dealer's, I'll have to say the condition is better than I expected even after looking at the pictures online. Clean bore and chambers, lockup and timing are spot on, 0 end shake, carry up is perfect, no push off, VERY crisp single action and a smooth double action for sure! Cylinder gap is .006-.007, I'll take it, just fine for a fighting revolver. I have some accessories there to make a "security rig" as it were. The holster matches the type being worn by the COs. The gun wears classic Pachmayr gripper grips, I love them and won't be changing them.

I am cleaning it up right now, it appears to have been very well taken care of. I have a 64-6 that is a Brink's security trade in gun that has a factory DAO hammer. I think I like this 64 even more!!

I am taking it to the range tomorrow and will post pictures. I think this was a great buy at this price and just what a cool gun, I love these 64s, very straightforward and simple, yet effective.

Take care all!

-Jay

PS: The serial number is BEJ96**. If any of you fellers could give me the date of production, I'd greatly appreciate that!

Last edited by JayFramer; 08-04-2017 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 20 Users Like Post: