View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Liked 15,506 Times in 6,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post
....I shot 4" groups at 20 yards, but after finding the right load, my groups reduced to 3" or thereabouts. But it doesn't look like it makes a whole lotta difference. Maybe something could be shown with a Ransom rest setup, but I don't shoot that way. I don't even shoot off a beanbag. In fact, one week I can be deadeye at the range and next week look like a beginner.

I've heard many people say that they fiddled around with a load until they found the most accurate. If they've done this what improvement do they see when they find the 'sweet spot'. The most accurate to me is usually a heavy, slow slug, mainly because they don't have much recoil that causes me to completely re-set up my follow up shots. Staying sub-sonic from start to finish of the flight, I believe may be a plus, due to avoiding turbulence in the transonic region, but that's just a theory.

I've also heard people say that they shoot silver dollar sized groups at 20 yards. Is this with a standard DA/SA revolver with factory sights or a target gun with optics?

I should ask this on the Self Defense forum, but some people insist on using the 'most accurate' ammo in their SD guns. It makes me wonder how valid this is as the ability of an offhand shooter vs. more/less accurate ammo. Especially at SD distances.
There is no easy answer or Holy Grail to accurate groups when shooting offhand.

There are just too many variables.

The biggest of course is the actual shooter, experience, grip yada yada.

There is also the GUN is it a revolver or a semi?. What kind of trigger does it have, A really nice crisp clean or a 12 lb pull.?? In a revolver shooting DA or SA??

As to ammo, yes, keeping things as constant as possible helps but even the best ammo in the World is not going to matter if the shooter and gun are not up to the task.

As to the ammo itself, there is the BULLET, the powder, the charge of the powder, primer and the brass, Of those I still maintain the brass is the least of the variables (yes it can have some affect/effect) but not as much as the other factors,and what minutia of a percentage?

So if one wants to apply rifle benchrest methods to handguns, then one needs to weight all the brass, or test capacity with H2O, uniform primer pockets debur flash holes, trim and chamfer cases. Buy premium bullest (weigh them,) test for concetricity, use match grad primers and find the Ultimate powder and charge weight.

Many good, really good, shooters shoot standard FACTORY ammo. A Lady at my range was asked to be on the SW Women's team (Julie Golob) She shoots only PMC 45 FMJ ammo with a stock SW 45 MP pistol.