View Single Post

Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,156 Times in 2,666 Posts
Default My simple story

About 4 years ago at a local 2700 Bullseye match, on the first 50 yard target with a 1911 45 ACP my score was 93 (every shot was in the black), my second target was 36 -- I never hit the black bullseye and 2 shots were outside the scoring rings. The same bullets, same box of ammo, same powder, same primers, sorted cases, big difference in scores.

My conclusion is that my shooting ability makes a huge difference in my score compared to the "intricacies" of reloading ammunition. For my match ammo, I use nickeled cases only and don't bother to sort by headstamp.

Please carry on with your meticulous preparations in creating ammo. This makes you feel good, gives you confidence, and eliminates variables from your process. I continue to reload on my Dillon 550 with dirty primer pockets, unsorted brass, and loaded ammo bulk packed in 50 cal ammo cans.

EDIT: How I shoot TODAY has absolutely nothing to do with how I could shoot 30 years ago. I can't shoot like I did 30 years ago, no matter what I do. I still have the old Colt Series 70 GC with a new accurized barrel, bushing, and UltraDot sight. Plus there are two new custom built 1911's that dreams are made of, but all I have are nightmares. Youthful muscles and eyes are God's blessing to a shooter. Electronic sights and cataract surgery can't overcome the body's failings. But I'm having more fun now than ever before.

Last edited by Engineer1911; 08-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: