View Single Post

Old 08-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Liked 6,611 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanewpadle View Post
This purpose of this thread isn't about recoil but more so bullet performance. Let's assume you can the control the recoil of the 357 in a snubby. Would you carry that load? Or would you carry 38 +P?

I've heard many times that with the loss in velocity with 357 that you might as well carry 38 +P. But I simply refuse to believe that the 38 +P would perform better than the 357 even with loss in velocity. Maybe I'm wrong.

I also understand that much of this depends on the load and bullet design you choose. Depending on bullet design, faster isn't always better.
Yes, full power .357 Magnum still offers some added velocity when fired from a 2" barrel.

The question is, at what point do the disadvantages of firing Magnum loads from a diminutive 5-shot snub - particularly a really light model - overshadow the advantage of a little more velocity, for any particular shooter?

I typically carry one or another of a few modern +P loads in my pair of M&P 340's, even though I've used Magnum loads for occasional quals and drills.

I used to save my Magnum ammo for my SP101DAO 2.25" snub, since it's weight (and Quad-Porting) made it a pleasure to shoot, even with the stoutest factory Magnum loads. I used that all-steel snub Ruger for many years, until I finally decided to sell it this year. I just didn't carry it very much anymore because its weight made it a belt gun.

I want to be able to put fast 5 rounds clustered into a fist-sized group, fired 1-handed, hip/indexed shooting out to 3yds, and 2-handed/flash-sighted out to 5-7yds, in no more than 2-3 seconds ... and it's a lot easier to accomplish using +P loads, than Magnum loads.