View Single Post

Old 08-06-2017, 07:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,481 Times in 714 Posts

I had the privilege of firing the M-14 while on the Fort Hood Rifle team in the 70's and early 80's. We had the local matches with the M-16's and then if you were good enough the local unit team traveled up to FT Riley and then on to FT Benning. So between the first or second trip, we put away the M16 and stepped up to the M-14.
The first few times shooting standing at a bulls eye target 200 yards, well I admit I shot some holes through the sky and probably killed a bunch of worms.
With a truck load of ammo and this being our only job we all got good at it.
The matches came and went and then one day my bride said, "This traveling has got to stop if you want to keep this marriage". I thought about it for a moment and said OK.
I got out of the shooting team and then we transferred to Germany. When I returned to FT Hood I found that the whole shooting program was closed.
My wife asked why that dang shooting was so important, I gave her a simple reply, "I could of participated in the Olympics".

I have a M1-A and used it in the last match I fired was in 1991 at FT Richardson Alaska. I came in 3rd Place overall. It was amazing how it all came back, my shooting partner gave me enough ammo to finish the course because I ran out.

Afterwards, someone asked about the premium ammo I was using to get such a great score, I replied "Portuguese surplus".
Now days they have the giant matches but none of the feeder matches that takes a soldier who shoots his rifle twice a year to the expert level of shooter.

Last edited by peyton; 08-06-2017 at 07:22 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: