View Single Post

Old 08-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Liked 14,852 Times in 5,049 Posts

Just a note for the sake of info, adding to the knowledge base to help make decisions, and NOT judging anyone's choices...
Quote:
My first non 3rd gen Smith auto so is there anything in particular about these that is different I need to know about? Also will the recoil and firing pin springs from a 5906 interchange with the 59?
The 2nd Gen pistols brought firing pin locks to the guns that 1st Gen pistols did not have. There have been a scattered few reports also of the safety drum rupturing on the most worn older guns, which, without a firing pin lock of the 2nd & 3rd Gens would cause an AD if the pistol were de-cocked using the thumb lever.

I have a handful of 1st Gen pistols and I love them dearly and I shoot them casually on range days. They are a pride and joy to own and handle and shoot. However, I would not put them in to any carry, duty or defense service unless the situation was extreme and "ANYTHING" near by would do. The firing pin lock engineered in to the 2nd Gen pistols tend to make the triggers simply not as nice, clean and smooth but they are a genuine upgrade in safety for a working gun.

If it were me, I would enjoy the newly added Model 59 to your cache of fun guns, but no, I personally would not put it in to carry rotation. The 2nd Gen Model 459 and the 3rd Gen Models 5903/5904 are more modern versions of the 59 but have the alloy frame that will carry lighter than your 5906, and also have other upgrades that are worth chasing, for defense use. I would choose those over a Model 59.

Your SN dates the pistol to a likely 1973 ship date. It's a fine looking gun and great addition to any S&W collection!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: