View Single Post

Old 08-08-2017, 12:53 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 651 Times in 244 Posts
Default In Answer To Your Inquiry , , ,

The 439 just looks so good...

The 439 had a fairly long run, started in February, 1981 and running into the third quarter of 1988.

The Model 439 became the Model 3904.

Inasmuch as the model started with the singular "A" prefix but ended with the beloved (right?) triple Alpha deal, production numbers are difficult to devine. Two knowledgeable sources essentially said, "Huh?" to an inquiry on the subject.

ASP chose to produce a few more of its (in)famous Model 39-like conversions using the 439. (I didn't "get off" on the ASP). (Indeed, had I used illicit drugs during the time periods when either ASP conversion occurred it's highly likely I would've used 'em to forget about the ASP.) Having said such, I should've bought a couple when offered those o' so many decades ago. A "Quest For Excellence" ASP sold for $6,900 in a 2015 Rock Island Auctions, well, auction.

As mentioned by a preceding contribution, the M439 had but two trigger guard styles: an early curvy guard (which also used the short, thick extractor with the silver BB)(I don't care for "round." which requires a dissertation if any explanation is to be made. Ain't gonna do it here); while the second style had a pointy thingy and size 02 sandpaper on the front for goodness knows what. I mean, it wasn't necessary to puncture skin and bleed so as to hang on to it; nor did I experience hassles in distinguishing it from the trigger found to its rear.

Your paid price was a fair price, so sayeth the Blue Book of Gun Values. Also contributing to the information herein is this Forum's gospel, the wondrous 4th Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson.

All things considered, ya did good on your purchase!

Later.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: