View Single Post

Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Liked 824 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Most .22lr powder is done burning in a 16in barrel.

To experience an 8in drop at 100yds vs 3in would be the equivelant of that 36gr bullet with a rated muzzle velocity of 1260fps somehow falling to a muzzle velocity of under 1000fps. I seriously doubt that's happening.
Actually 16" is the point of diminishing returns in a semi-auto 22LR because that's where the bullet is when barrel pressure is low enough for bolt opening to start and that bleeds off the pressure in the barrel. I have an old model 69 Winchester (bolt action 22LR) that had a 26" barrel I shortened to 20" and lost velocity, and it got a LOT louder...

As to the bullet drop you need to know the bullet velocity, accurately measure the sight height and then carefully sight in based on your group center.

One thing I see is that the OP's 25 yd group is low. That really throws things off farther out. What I'd suggest is sighting in 1" high at 50 yds (one of the table distances and heights) so the group CENTER is 1" high,and see where the 100 yd groups are then.

OR, sight in 3" low at 100 yds and see where your closer up groups are. The farther out you sight in the less error you should have.

Just my 2 cents...
The Following User Likes This Post: