View Single Post

Old 08-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Liked 1,025 Times in 510 Posts

I'm a general fan of the pancake style holster, now that I've figured out seasonal wardrobes that cover the gun well enough. The Wright Leather Works model pictured looks like a nice version of the design, and I'm glad to see that it comes with a body shield which many holsters don't.

If you want to look at something a little less expensive, check out the MTR line at Gunner's Alley MTR Custom Slim-Line Full-size Pancake Holster . Even when you add the body shield option you're still almost $20 under the Wright model. I've bought a number of Don Hume holsters from these folks, including the one I use for daily carry of a Shield 9, but it doesn't look like Hume makes holsters for the Shield 45. I would personally be comforable buying one of the MTR models from them.

BTW, to InsideWaist's comment on trigger guard coverage - it's always a design tradeoff between coverage and leaving enough room to get a full finger grip on the gun before drawing it from the holster. It's easier to do with a revolver, that has a lot of "built in" clearance behind the trigger guard because of the design. But with an autoloader you have to either increase the forward cant of the gun to stick the grip straighter up and so away from the leather, or reduce the coverage of the rear of the trigger guard area a bit in order to create space for fingers on the grip. In any event, uncovered space behind the trigger poses no risk for something snagging and causing an unexpected discharge.

Last edited by wrangler5; 08-08-2017 at 06:31 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: