View Single Post

Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Liked 29,353 Times in 10,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
I was involved in the early phases of the 6.8mm development, and in my opinion it is far superior to the 5.56mm and nearly the equal to the 7.62mm in performance. But it never got much traction with the military and never will. There is an enormous sum invested in 5.56mm and 7.62mm weapons and ammunition now in inventory, and it will be a near-miracle if the U. S. Military (most notably the Army) would ever abandon them for any other caliber. About 99.99% probability that they will never be replaced in our lifetimes, at least for general combat service. SpecOps may be a different story.
...and that's the truth, no matter how much more suitable 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC might be as heavier assault rifle cartridges.

It's all about taking back that half kilometer that we lost with the 14.5" M4. The Brits decided to issue a 7.62 NATO DMR made by LMT. I assume that there are one or two per platoon. That surprises me as the modernized SA-80 (L85A2, don't bother going over the old reliability issues) has a 20" barrel than the M4 and should work well even with M885.