View Single Post

Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Taylor,

My experience with the Model 19 revolvers began in the last half of the '60's. I hold the Model 19 in very high regard. My life depended on one almost daily for a very long time. The pictures indicate that this one you are considering is in pretty darn fine looking condition. If the mechanical condition is as good and I wanted a nice copy of a 19, I'd go back to that shop with five one hundred dollar bills and two fifty dollar bills.

I would ask the dealer to remove the Pachmayer grips so I could see the frame underneath to make sure no moisture related damage has occurred underneath. I put a set of the exact same grips on my duty Model 19 very early in the '70's and they went to work with me in all kinds of weather over the years. I normally removed the grips every time I gave the revolver a serious cleaning (more than the daily wipe down with an oily rag) and never had a problem underneath the grips. My compatriots who carried their revolvers with the issued wood grips really banged them up on door facings and car door posts and underneath seat belt buckles. The Pachs took that abuse in stride and still looked about the same as new! I've still got that first set of Pachs since they were purhased with my own money! A period correct set of OEM targets can be found to replace them if you wish.

After a careful inspection of the revolver, including dry firing it (after asking the dealer's permission of course!) and checking for fit, function, and mechanical condtion and appearance, I'd lay down those five big bills and see what happens. The dealer knows what he's got! If he doesn't budge, after a bit, I'd lay down one of the fifties and let it lay for a while. Mention again the Pachs, plus (I assume no box or tools or papers). If that doesn't get accepted, and if you really would like to have a nice copy of a Model 19 that you have been able to closely examine in your own hands before purchase, I'd lay down the other fifty and tell him that $600.00 "out the door" is what you will give.

From what I can see, the gun pictured has not been abused in any way, and it does not show much carry wear at all. If it was a police trade in, it must have been assigned to a supervisor who drove a desk! You should be able to tell whether or not it has been fired much during your inspection. There are probably some nicer 19's on the market, but you'll not find them often, especially where you can physically inspect them before adding the expense of shipment and transfer to the equasion. That can easily add from $50 to $100 to your cost.

It's your money, of course. But prices these days are what they are, and what they are is a lot more than any of us older guys are used to paying. How bad do you want one? Like I said, based on what I see here, this one is a really pretty nice looking copy. I bet it will clean up nicely, and I bet it will be a great shooter! Plus it's not so nice that you will be hesitant to shoot and use it. I just say you ought to think long and hard before you let that one slip away, even if you have to pay the dealer's full asking price. If he won't take your $550, then start laying down ten dollar bills on the pile. And don't do that quickly. As long as that cash lays in front of him, I'll bet at some point, he may accept. I'd have a couple of fives in my pocket and I'd probably add one of those if you get to the point where you have $570 on the counter. That's just the way I do things, but if I wanted the gun, I probably would not leave the store without it!! You understand, I'm very prejudiced about Model 19's and this advice is just my personal opinon given to you for what it might be worth! Good luck with your decision! And we'd like to know what you decide!