View Single Post

Old 08-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Liked 9,470 Times in 4,391 Posts

In the interest of keeping the peace, I think the word "transitional" (small t) and "Transitional" (Capital T) might be a solution here.

Most of us here in Team 3rd Gen, Transitional 2nd/3rd Gens means the infamous RSR Transitionals, bearing the RSR serial number prefix and special "2nd Gen plus suffix" model numbers: 4690, 4691, 6450, 6451, 6452, 6453, 6454, 6590, 6591, 6592, 6690 and 6691. There are discussed in the 4th Edition of the Bible on pages 387 and 388. There are certain other pistols (very few, but some) with "transitional features" discussed in the Bible but I've certainly never come across any of them (other than the RSR's).

It is important to note that the RSR Transitionals did not appear before the first 3rd Gens or even concurrent with the first 3rd Gens. Rather, they came at some point after the early 3rd Gens were out for a while... and hence some of the mystery surrounding them.

Now to the word "transitional" (small t): I personally view the entire 2nd Generation S&W semi-auto pistol family as transitional (small t). I also view the early (1st trigger guard and pre-Novak sights) 3rd Generation pistols as transitional (small t) simply because the mothership later decided that hooked square trigger guards were a bit problematic and Novak sights were the cat's meow!

Anyway, is it weird that an S&W employee at the time would have thought of the early 3rd Gens (1st trigger guard and pre-Novak sights) as "transitional" to something better coming down the pike? Not really. Is it weird that certain raw materials intended for 2nd Gens ended up as 3rd Gen parts? Nope. But does that mean we should all be willing to pay a whole lot more for early 3rd Gens because some parts in them started life intended to be 2nd Gen parts?

I don't think so... but that's for each of us to decide.

Bottom line: The RSR Transitionals will continue to draw collector interest for their rarity and unique numbers... and price premiums if in top condition. It's a collector thang.

But for 3rd Gens that were "transitional" (small t) just because they were early production 3rd Gens that may have some parts or materials that originally started life intended for 2nd Gens... or because they had hooked square trigger guards and old style sights? Nothing particularly special there IMHO... certainly nothing to pay a premium for. But if someone wants to point out that they are "transitional" (small t) in the sense that an improved 3rd Gen with round trigger guard and Novak sights was on the way? I guess I have no big problem with that.

Last edited by TTSH; 08-10-2017 at 07:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: