Thread: Question
View Single Post

Old 08-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Liked 14,860 Times in 5,052 Posts

Tip: when you start a new thread, please give some hint as to the subject. This helps the forum in many ways AND it helps you also to get the attention of others who may post with an answer.

I have dealt with the dreaded trigger play spring and "click" mostly in a 4566. Here's how I would describe it when it is NOT working properly:

The pistol is cocked for a single action shot but you haven't put your finger on the trigger yet. When you do, your first feel is an almost dead trigger, it "falls" backward just a bit, with basically no resistance whatsoever until it stops and you now feel resistence. At this point, you squeeze the trigger and trip the sear, firing a shot.

If you continue to shoot the magazine in a typical semi-auto fashion, taking aimed shots in continuation, you probably won't notice the faulty trigger play spring again until the next magazine. Typically, you only let out the trigger enough between shots to reset the disconnector and prepare for the next shot.

The trigger play spring, when working properly, places the trigger exactly where it needs to be before a single action shot. When the trigger play spring is faulty, the trigger hangs loose until you willfully take up the "dead" space before meeting the sear.

It's totally annoying, in my opinion, and if I had to make a list of S&W 1-2-3rd Gen things I DON'T like, it's near the top of the list.

What I don't understand is why it seems to be such a rampant issue on the .45cal pistols while it rarely seems to appear on the other guns. The part itself is extremely flimsy. If the .45's were the first S&W's that I ever saw, I would call the trigger play spring a horrible design... yet it seems to have worked almost flawlessly since like 1955 on the other guns, so I can't really say the design is bad.